Awards to American Students for Study in Chinese Universities
This scholarship program is being offered by the Chinese Education Bureau which is an agency of the Chinese Government. The purpose of this program is to attract American students to study in China to deepen the cooperative relationship between universities in China and universities in America and achieve the goal proposed by President Obama to have “100,000 American students studying in China,” in the next four years.
Up to 10,000 tuition scholarships will be awarded. (Awards do not include transportation, or room and board.)
There are two types of scholarships. One is for Masters Level Study in China, in a full-time, degree-granting program. The other one is for undergraduate academic credit in a course that lasts for at least three months.
To qualify for scholarships at the Masters level:
1. Students must be admitted to a program of study in a Chinese university;
2. Students may not already be receiving need-based support from the university. (They may have merit-based awards.)
3. Applicants must register on line (laihua.csc.edu.cn). After completing the electronic form, they must download and sign their name and hand in the form to the Chinese university where they plan to study.
Chinese universities will provide a list of qualifying applicants to the Chinese Education Bureau including applicants’ names and majors. The deadline for applications for the 2011-2012 school year is 6/30/11.
To qualify for scholarships at the undergraduate level:
1. American students must be enrolled in college or university that has a formal exchange agreement with a university in China. At the completion of study, the student’s home college must be willing to include the Chinese course on the student’s official transcript for credits in satisfaction of the Bachelor’s degree requirements at the student’s home university.
2. The Chinese university must complete the attached form (Form 3) and send it, along with the exchange agreement to the Chinese Bureau of Education.
3. The Applicant must register online at laihua.csc.edu.cn.
The deadline for application for the 2011-2012 school year is 9/30/11.
Ms. Liang Yu
International Cooperation and Students Exchange
International Affairs Office
University of Shanghai for Science & Technology
516 Jungong Road Shanghai 200093